Website Weston Wood Solutions
Weston Wood Solutions is a global distributor and manufacturer of millwork products. Simply put, we deliver value by getting our customers the products they need, when they need them. Our deep industry expertise and exceptional customer service is what sets us apart, and what we believe is the key to our success. We’re consistently recognized as one of Canada’s fast-growing and 50 Best Managed companies, though we’re always thinking of new ideas and ways to improve. We are one team – we pride ourselves on our exceptional work ethic, can-do attitude and innate desire to learn. If this sounds like you, then Weston offers an environment for you to shine and grow your career.
The Machine Shop Lead Hand is a hands-on role, and responsible for all aspects of Weston Wood Solutions’ Machine Shop to ensure consistent and high-quality output from the team. Reporting to the Operations Manager, this role is key for co-creating and operationalizing strategies to meet customer’s service expectations, ensuring a safe work environment, and providing excellence in customer service to ensure a dependable product supply while contributing to world-class manufacturing capabilities. They will be focused on Lean principles for continuous improvement and manufacturing best practices, and they will optimize shop fixed assets. A highly collaborative role, the individual will work will all facets of the business and be involved with new product launches.
Performance Oversight, Training and Safety
• Create and maintain a safe workplace for all employees
• Train and develop warehouse employees to meet and exceed the expectations of their current role and prepare them for advancement
• Maintain accurate training logs as applicable
• Oversee all daily functions of the machine shop and its employees, and collaborate closely and in a timely manner with the Warehouse Operations Manager to address any performance issues
General Shop Floor Responsibilities
• Be hands-on in the shop along with the team to meet daily targets, at times this could be upwards of 50% of your day, including providing back up support in team as necessary
• Ensure effective management and utilization of all shop assets
• Institute operational best practices and reduce process variance and costs by driving continuous improvement through Lean activities
• Collaborate with sales and purchasing on SKU velocities and inventory levels
• Collaborate with Sales to understand and satisfy our customer’s service expectations
• Organize, plan, and prioritize appropriately to accomplish work and balance workload
• Create and/or contribute to reports for reporting of operational metrics, on a regular basis
• Track manufacturing KPI’s to reduce expenses vs. budget, and identify potential issues and implement appropriate actions
• Maintain a high degree of comprehension for machines in the shop and the needs of the equipment
• Key contributor/member of the branch Lean teams
• Create and implement strategies to optimize their branches footprint to meet our customers’ service expectations while minimizing operating costs
• Complete any assigned work (projects, process improvement initiatives etc.)
• Identify opportunities for workflow improvement and control, and assist in implementing changes
• Fulfill general administrative duties such as filing, faxing, photocopying, and processing etc.
What do you need to succeed?
▪ 3 + years’ progressive work experience as a lead in a manufacturing environment
▪ Highly effective communication skills (oral and business writing ), with fluency in English
▪ Excellent organizational skills with ability to multi-task and work well under pressure to get things done, and in a dynamic work environment
▪ Excellent analytical skills with an ability to provide meaningful insights from data
▪ High attention to detail and accuracy
▪ Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish rapport with senior management, customers and colleagues
▪ Able to lead a team effectively to engage them and deliver high-quality work
▪ Results-driven, goal-oriented mindset, with a drive to succeed
▪ Lean experience and credentials (e.g., Greenbelt, Six Sigma, etc.)
▪ Excellent proficiency in MS Office
▪ Multi-Language capability is a strong asset
▪ Relevant industry experience (Millwork/ Lumber etc.)
• Completion of post-secondary education in a related field
• Hands-on experience with Epicor BisTrack or a similar ERP system
…Ready to join the team?
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter indicating why you are interested in the role to email@example.com.
Weston Wood Solutions welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank all of our applicants in advance.